Friday, January 20, 2006

Zardoz- An Epic of Crap




Zardoz is an obscure Science Fiction/ Fantasy movie released in 1974 and stars Sean Connery in a post-Bond role. I have to say that this might be the worst movie I have ever seen. All of the sequences are drawn out and confused with one scene taking place inside of a tiny crystal that Connery has somehow traveled into. The scene continues with other characters mysteriously waving their arms at him in the crystal's facets for ten minutes. Did I mention Sean Connery wears a 1970's orange sarong thong for most of the movie? Not a great look on an extremely hairy man.
This film is about inequality between the elite and the masses. The elite are infiltrated by a spy who, in a thong, makes no attempt to hide his purpose and was once a thug for the elite to keep down the masses in the name of a god called Zardoz. Connery turns on the elite after discovering that Zardoz is actually fake and is no more than one of the elite's pet projects to use the stupid masses for his own amusement. Zardoz turns out to be a name created from a book called "The WiZARD of OZ". While the immortal elite attempt to suppress the mortal masses, in the end we discover that the elite want nothing more than to die at the hands of the masses in an odd suicidal way.
As I was desperately attempting to follow the meandering plot I was struck by the style of the film and how each decade and genre of film tend to maintain periods of film that are all very similar. Zardoz reminded me of a poorly executed Logan's Run. You can see traces of the psychedelic 1960's lingering, but the 1970's lifestyle is in full force.
I recommend this movie to people that like movies with barely clad, furry men.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was considering this while in Blockbuster the other day, but decided to pick up Leonard Part 6 instead. After reading your review I'm glad I went with the Cosby thriller.

Incidently the Wizard of Oz is a sort of political satire about changing the gold standard in America to a Silver standard.

But this never happened, which ultimately forced Wille Nelson to come up with Farm Aid.

robin said...

While there is some boobage in Zardoz, I think little else would have appealed to you. Did you know that Fox Movie Channel does not edit for content? They let the boobs fly freely.

Anonymous said...

If you could call me when these things are on tv, I would appreciate it.