Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Cell: A Novel




I was not sure if I wanted to read Stephen King's latest novel, "Cell", because, let's face it, I judged a book by its cover. I saw the bloody cell phone and assumed that this book was about some stalker with a cell phone. I don't know why I jumped to that conclusion, but the whole cover really turned me off of reading the novel. I managed to pick up the book after ready a tiny article stating that it was more of an apocalyptic scenario and I love those!
I liked this book, but I did not love it. I found the characters to be surprisingly 2-dimensional. One thing I love about Stephen King’s writing is the depth of his characters and how you feel as if you really know everything about every insignificant person. I love that omniscient viewpoint, but it's missing from this novel. The characters remain characters and never become real.
I did enjoy the plot of this novel as it was inventive and managed to keep me entertained even if this was a caricature of a Stephen King novel. I miss the old Stephen King.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought SK (as those in the know refer to him) retired after the dark tower series? It's probably hard not to keep writing when people keep dropping off sacks of money at your doorstep.

I too love apoliptic scenarios. I'm am working on such a project at this time, workingly titled "The Giant". Look for it at stores near you before the close of this decade.

I hope someone reads this post.

Did you pick up the hardback version, or the uhm . . , other version?

robin said...

Yeah,
I think we were tricked into thinking that he retired. Oh, and if you look on IMBD, a movie is already being made out of this book. What the heck, it just came out.
I got the "other" version.

Anonymous said...

Strong.

Of course they're making a movie out of it.