Monday, April 19, 2010

Ponyo (2008)






This 2008 movie by Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle) was directed and written by Hayao Miyazaki and is loosely based on The Little Mermaid.  The story follows a little fish-girl, Ponyo, that runs away from her father and wants to turn into a human and be with a little 5-year old boy, Sōsuke, that she meets.  The story ensues as Ponyo attempts to become human and threatens the environmental balance of the world.

I had high expectations for this movie as I fell in love with Spirited Away and Miyazaki did not disappoint me.  I have never seen 2d animation that can compare to the quality in Miyazaki's movies.  Ponyo takes it to a completely new level with the style and scope of animation.  The detail of the water, colors, and fish is artistic and majestic to say the least.  Animation aside, the story and plot of this movie keep you enthralled and excited to see waht happens next.  I think it's a good recommendation for an animated movie that draws you into the the plot and characters so much that you forget it's animated.  Ponyo and he friend seem so alive that it was easy to become immersed in the story.

The only portion to disappoint me in this movie was the last song during the ending credits.  I thought the music throughout the story was lilting and pretty like what I was watching and then this last "theme" song comes on at the end of the credits like a childish and obnoxious TV show.
That being said, I loved this movie and highly suggest you see it.

No comments: